I know a lot of people count New Years as a huge let down. We dress up and drink up for a fantastic, movie-worthy night and we typically go to bed before the ball drops or wake up the next morning regretting how much we drank. But I love New Years. I spend the last day of the year in reflection, normally because I feel this enormous pressure from social media to recount my last 365 days.
Today I went through my year and added up how many cities I’ve visited, how many beds I’ve slept in–because I’ve moved around a lot not because I’ve been around a lot–and how many miles I’ve flown. What I first thought would be an exercise of analytics turned into a 2 hours walk down memory lane. I have lived such a life in the last 12 months, and I am thankful for all of it, the good and the bad.
If I had a wish to send out into the world today, it would be that you can recount your 2017 with gratitude and that, in recounting, you feel breath-catching excitement for the year ahead.
My 2017 by the numbers:
- I visited 27 cities in 7 different countries.
- I slept in 40 different beds (because I’ve moved around a lot not because I’ve been around a lot.)
- Caught 21 different flights, traveling 36,117 miles or 58,097 km.
- Spent 18 hours and 30 minutes under water during 28 scuba dives.
- Got 2 tattoos.
- Cut off 13 inches of hair to donate.
- Saw six shows, musicals, ballets and symphonies.